Tuesday, January 4, 2011

someone asked me the other day; “Do we NEED to pray”?: by Len Paxton

someone asked me the other day; “Do we NEED to pray”?: by Len Paxton

someone asked me the other day; “Do we NEED to pray”?

to me, that question should not need to be asked. A Christian, with proper faith in the finished work of Christ, should want to pray.

And, yes, needs to pray…………

That need comes from our hearts….. It is constantly with us….. We need Him like our next breath… More….

I am married. I see my wife nearly everyday and I love talking to her. Sometimes Angie and I will just spend hours talking.. It is no chore. It doesn’t cause great apprehension… It is so natural. Usually, if I am on the road somewhere preaching and my wife can’t be with me; I call her. I NEED to.. I feel the need… I am no less married if I do not call…. I am no closer to Angie if I do… But I NEED to.. I Love her. I love everything about her. I want to be with her every minute.

Should we not feel this way about our Lord also?

Psalm 42: 7Deep calleth unto deep at the noise of thy waterspouts: all thy waves and thy billows are gone over me.

we are called into that deep unto deep relationship with the Lord.

It would do you well to look at Paul’s words in this next text:

1 Thess 5:16-25

16Rejoice evermore.

17Pray without ceasing.

18In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

19Quench not the Spirit.

20Despise not prophesyings.

21Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

22Abstain from all appearance of evil.

23And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

24Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

25Brethren, pray for us.

I can just see some folks jumping on the Great Paul; the wise Master Builder of the Church; telling him he doesn’t need to pray… Some say there is no power in our prayer or praise… You come along too late to convince me of that; I have already read the Bible through many times.. I remember Paul and Silas at midnight singing praises…. GOD MOVED…

(Acts 16)

and several other places in the Bible; We see God move in response to prayer……..

I will be doing several articles on the Power of prayer and praise within the context of the message of the cross, next year. Please be watching for them.. God is up to something; something Good……..

“Eighteen-year-old Hudson Taylor wandered into his father’s library and read a gospel tract. He couldn’t shake off its message. Finally, falling to his knees, he accepted Christ as his Savior. Later, his mother, who had been away, returned home. When Hudson told her the good news, she said, “I already know. Ten days ago, the very date on which you tell me you read that tract, I spent the entire afternoon in prayer for you until the Lord assured me that my wayward son had been brought into the fold.”

and…….as Jeanne Sherrod has said “Jesus needed to pray, thats enough for me..”….. I say amen….


No comments: